New York Rangers GameDay: Revenge against the Islanders on tap for game two of short season
The Rangers get a chance at redemption thanks to the shortened season’s schedule with limited travel. Face-off is set for 7:00 p.m. ET at Madison Square Garden which was the scene of their opening night 4-0 loss to the Islanders.
(TV: MSG Network, Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM).
Note: The Rangers will not skate this morning and David Quinn is expected to address the media at approximately 11:30 AM.
RANGERS VS. ISLANDERS: CHANGES COMING?
Head coach David Quinn has already announced that his starter will be Alexandar Georgiev. Last season was a good one for the goaltender as he set career-highs in wins (17), appearances (34), and games started.
Based on practice yesterday, it looks like Alexis Lafrenière will be moved up to the second line on right wing, taking Kaapo Kakko’s spot for the time being. It certainly is an interesting move and should be fun to see how it pans out.
The biggest concern is what 6 defense will start. Tony DeAngelo looks like a scratch tonight as he skated with the taxi squad yesterday. In my book, this is way too early to be scratching a player as important as DeAngelo.
Pre Game Notes:
- All-Time: 130-117-19-9 (73-48-11-6 at home; 57-69-8-3 on the road)
- 2020-21: The Rangers are playing the Islanders in the second of eight games between the two teams. The Blueshirts have posted a 0-1-0 record, following the Islanders’ 4-0 win on Jan. 14 at MSG.
- The Rangers have earned a win in five of their last eight games against the Islanders (5-3-0 record).
- Since Feb. 16, 2015, 17 of the last 23 meetings between the Rangers and Islanders have been decided by two or fewer goals, and 10 of the 23 contests have been decided by one goal. In addition, seven of the last 14 games between the Rangers and Islanders have been decided by one goal.
- Most saves in one game by a Ranger against the Islanders: 42 – Alexandar Georgiev on Feb. 25, 2020 at NY Islanders.
- Alexis Lafrenière made his NHL/Rangers debut on Jan. 14 vs. NY Islanders. Lafrenière was selected by the Rangers with the first overall pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. He became the first player to be selected by the Rangers with the first overall pick in the NHL Amateur/Entry Draft since the universal Draft was adopted in 1969 (in which all junior players of qualifying age were eligible for selection). The Blueshirts had selected first overall in any NHL Amateur/Entry Draft only once since the Draft was implemented in 1963 (Andre Veilleux in 1965).
*Pre Game Notes courtesy of the NYR
THE DAILY GOAL HORN: YOUR NEW HOME FOR HOCKEY
Please help spread the word about FTHN’s newest site!