NHL Trade Deadline Day: New York Rangers notes
A flurry of trades happened yesterday and into the wee hours of the morning in the NHL. Nick Foligno became a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Taylor Hall went to the Boston Bruins, and the Pittsburgh Penguins surprised people with a trade for Jeff Carter.
The New York Rangers are unlikely to do anything of that ilk today but let’s quickly rundown all the latest reporting I have on the team.
New York Rangers NHL Trade Deadline special
- No Rentals: When it comes to how the Rangers are looking at this deadline, I was informed that if they make any deals at all it will be for a player that helps the team beyond just this season. That means looking to add a pending UFA is not in the cards. The Rangers won’t be trading any young roster players, prospects, or draft picks unless the deal is going to have ramifications into the future.
- Ryan Strome: One name that seems to be persistent as a potential trade candidate for the New York Rangers at the deadline is Ryan Strome. Seeing his name continuously pop up on lists had me scratching my head. Why would the Rangers move their second line center this season? When I started asking around why Strome’s name had been coming up as a potential trade candidate, I was met with the same confusion. Unless he’s part of a deal for an elite center, he’s more valuable here this season and as a trade chip this offseason. Strome is not getting traded today unless they are getting a top center back.
- Tony DeAngelo: TSN’s latest trade bait board has DeAngelo at the bottom. Simply put there’s been next to no buzz out there on him. Some recent chatter about the Panthers, but that was more Larry Brooks and Dan Rosen wondering if he was a fit there. Here’s some late information; there’s a potential that some teams worried about exposing a defenseman to expansion may look to acquire DeAngelo for that purpose then buy him out if he’s not selected by Seattle. Teams like Anaheim, Nashville, Minnesota, and Calgary all have expansion dilemmas on defense. I will have more on this today.
- Alexandar Georgiev, Brendan Smith and Colin Blackwell: There’s been some noise around their names of late but there’s no desire by the Rangers to move them today.
- A Blockbuster Deal: Never say never, but this only happens today if the Rangers are acquiring a top center. A 1A to Mika Zibanejad if you will. At this moment there’s been only whispers that the Sabres may look to trade Jack Eichel today but I don’t expect this to happen – and it may not even take place this summer. This is a low probability but one that can’t be ruled out.
Julien Gauthier is a wild card today as he seems to not be able to crack the lineup. However, he has no leverage as an RFA and would likely be a sweeter in a deal for a center this summer.
Latest NHL Trade News
Things just got much tougher for the Rangers in the East. Read more here.