Rangers face Penguins tonight as they try to assert themselves in playoff race
Rangers vs Penguins: What happens after you win six of your last eight? Well for the Blueshirts it has them four points out of the last playoff spot in the East Division.
The Penguins and the Flyers are tied for fourth with 27 points, and the Rangers have two games against Pittsburgh starting tonight. It’s a real opportunity to prove to everyone who thought they wouldn’t be a factor for postseason play to say – “you were wrong.”
Rangers: 10-9-3 (23 pts)
Penguins: 13-9-1 (27 pts)
(7:30 p.m. ET – TV: MSG Network)
Rangers vs Penguins: Who will start in goal?
“We’re going back and forth on that right now,” David Quinn said about his starter after the Rangers 6-3 win over the Devils yesterday. A decision is expected to be announced around 6:15 pm when he addresses the media.
Keith Kinkaid served as yesterday’s backup and may get a start depending on how long Igor Shesterkin is sidelined. Some think the start may come tonight against the Penguins but I’m thinking with what’s at stake it will be Georgiev.
Kinkaid’s record of 65-56-20 with a 2.95 GAA and a .905 SV% are good numbers for a backup. But the Blueshirts will want to ride the hot hand at that is the 24 year-old Alex.
Georgiev has won three out if his last four starts and picked up points in five of his last six starts. His last regulation loss came on 1/26 at Buffalo. Igor Shesterkin was saddled with the loss against Boston when Georgiev was removed for concussion protocols.
Injury and Milestone updates
INJURIES (55 Man-Games Lost to Injury)*
- Jacob Trouba (upper-body; 4-6 weeks from time of injury on Feb. 16) – has missed eight games – (Editor’s note: Trouba could play tonight or Tuesday)
- Igor Shesterkin (mild groin strain; day-to-day) – has missed one game
- Brendan Lemieux – 1 game away from 100 with the Rangers
- Pavel Buchnevich – 1 assist away from 100 in his NHL career/with the Rangers
- Brendan Smith – 7 games away from 500 in his NHL career
- Adam Fox – 8 games away from 100 in his NHL career/with the Rangers
Pre Game Notes
- All-Time vs Penguins: 131-114-23-16 (73-54-9-8 at home; 58-60-14-8 on the road)
- Jacques Martin was a member of the Penguins organization for seven seasons (2013-14 – 2019-20), serving as an Assistant Coach and a Senior Advisor at different points during his tenure. He helped Pittsburgh win the Stanley Cup twice as an Assistant Coach (2015-16 and 2016-17).
- Chris Kreider – 27 GP, 6-9-15 – Kreider has recorded a goal/point in each of the last two games against Pittsburgh (two goals) and has also tallied 14 points (six goals, eight assists) in his last 20 games against the Penguins
- Adam Fox – 5 GP, 2-3-5 – Fox has recorded a point in four of his five career games against the Penguins.
- Kaapo Kakko – 4 GP, 3-0-3 – Kakko has tallied a goal/point in two of his four career games against Pittsburgh. Kakko registered two goals, including the game-winning goal in overtime, in his first career game against the Penguins on Nov. 12, 2019 at MSG.
Notes courtesy NYR
Check out the latest NHL Rumors
The Sabres are “wide open” for business and more!