Rangers prepare for Free Agent Frenzy tomorrow, here are some targets
It’s the day before NHL free agents can be signed and unless there is a complete 180 in direction, don’t expect the Rangers to do much tomorrow.
The Blueshirts may need the dust to settle and pick up one the remaining forwards from the scrap heap. As per Newsday, the Rangers are looking at the three following UFA’s:
- Center, Eric Fehr, 29 Y/O coming off a 1.6M contract. He will likely be looking for a 2M+ deal and be too rich for the Rangers cap strapped blood.
- Center, Shawn Matthias, 27 y/o that made 1.85M on last deal. Same situation as Fehr.
- Center/Winger, Daniel Winnik, 30 y/o that only made 1.3M and could be the fit the NYR are looking for.
Here are some other names I think could be had and help the Rangers 3rd or 4th line at a reasonable price between $1-1.75M:
- LW, Blake Comeau, 29 y/o (last AAV 700K)
- LW, Ryan Carter, 31 y/o (last AAV 725K)
- RW, David Moss, 33 y/o (last AAV 800K)
- C, Marcel Goc, 31 y/o (last AAV 1.2M)
- LW, Daniel Paille, 31 y/o (last AAV 1.3M)
- C, Mike Santorelli, 29 y/o (last AAV 1.5M)
As far as qualifying offers go, the Rangers took care of 8 of their 9 RFA’s. The odd man out, 25 y/o defenseman Conor Allen.
Rangers have extended qualifying offers to eight of their nine RFAs. No QO for D Conor Allen. Dylan McIlrath does receive a QO.
— Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) June 29, 2015
Here is a quick projected snapshot of the Rangers opening day lineup. What you can clearly see is the need for an extra forward. Maybe the Rangers can fill it with one of the names mentioned above. Otherwise, they will need to trade to free up more cap space heading into tomorrow.