Rangers Rumor Roundup: Draft Day is Upon Us (Morning Update)
@NHLRumorsDaily here again, on one of the most exciting days of the NHL offseason; Draft Day! Many rumors are going to fly today, and I and the members of FullTiltNYR will do our best to keep you up to date on the latest involving the Blueshirts and the rest of the NHL on Twitter and on our website. The most “up-to-the-minute” info can be found on Twitter, @NHLRumorsDaily, however I will periodically provide exclusive updates throughout the day that you can only find here, at FullTiltNYR.com. Without further ado, let’s head to this morning’s update!
NYR Don’t See a Fit in the Desert?
One of the biggest rumors in Rangerstown has been the talk of a Derek Stepan trade to Arizona, but the latest from Larry Brooks shows that may not be the case.
As draft day in Chicago begins to unfold, told that there is no traction at the moment in NYR talks with Coyotes re Stepan.
— Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) June 23, 2017
Sources tell me that although Rangers GM Jeff Gorton has been taking calls on Stepan, there has yet to be a team involved that has the top-four defenseman that the Rangers desire. At this point, I know of two teams, Montreal and Arizona, who have expressed the most interest in Stepan.
NYR in on Evander Kane?
Although the focus for the Blueshirts has been finding a top-four defenseman, I still think the Rangers are in need of a goal scoring, top-6 winger and Evander Kane of the Buffalo Sabres still has the potential to be that player. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported this morning that the Rangers may be one of the teams that have spoken to the Sabres about the 25-year-old. Not much else is known at this time, but it is something to watch for as the day progresses.
Around The League
Quick hits from around the league this morning:
- TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the NJ Devils are a team to watch in the Alex Galchenyuk sweepstakes.
- Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports that the NY Islanders are seeking 2 1st round picks in return for Travis Hamonic; The Calgary Flames are most interested
- In addition to the Rangers, Dreger lists the Sharks and Ducks as teams that are interested in Evander Kane
- The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed D Kris Russell to a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal.
- Minnesota has been looking to trade one of their defensemen and it appears that Marco Scandella will be the odd man out, but there is equal interest in Matt Dumba. Sources tell me that Montreal and Boston have expressed the most interest in Scandella, and not to count out Dallas on Dumba.
- Arizona will definitely be a team to watch today. They’re looking for centers and goaltending, and are expected to be making a few trades.
That’s all I have for this morning, but for “up-to-the-minute” info, follow @NHLRumorsDaily and @FullTiltNYRBlog on twitter, and keep checking FullTiltNYR.com for any breaking news throughout the day. Cheers!