Rangers vs Kraken by the numbers: Another long road trip begins
The New York Rangers will face the Seattle Kraken for the first time in history. It also signals the start of another big four game road trip with additional stops in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary.
Here’s the game day preview by the numbers.
NYR: 5-2-1 (11 POINTS)
SEA: 3-4-1 (7 POINTS)
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2021 – 9:00 PM ET Climate Pledge Arena
TV: MSG Network, NHL Network
RADIO: 98.7 FM
Rangers last game: 4-0 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets
RANGERS VS. KRAKEN
All-Time: This is the first ever meeting between the two franchises
Per the Rangers, this will be the 36th franchise the team has played in its 95-year history. That includes teams like the Atlanta Thrashers, California Golden Seals, and Colorado Rockies.
New York is 5-0-0 in its first game against the last five expansion teams and overall have posted a 24-5-1-0 record in their first all-time game against the other 30 teams currently in the NHL.
- Anaheim: Oct. 19, 1993 at MSG (L, 2-4)
- Arizona: Nov. 21, 1979 at MSG (L, 4-6) – against the Winnipeg Jets
- Boston: Dec. 7, 1926 at Boston (W, 1-0)
- Buffalo: Oct. 14, 1970 at MSG (W, 3-0)
- Calgary: Nov. 21, 1972 at Atlanta (W, 3-1) – against the Atlanta Flames
- Carolina: Oct. 28, 1979 at MSG (T, 2-2) – against the Hartford Whalers
- Chicago: Nov. 30, 1926 at MSG (W, 4-3)
- Colorado: Nov. 10, 1979 at MSG (W, 5-4) – against the Quebec Nordiques
- Columbus: Feb. 12, 2001 at Columbus (W, 4-3)
- Dallas: Nov. 19, 1967 at MSG (W, 5-2) – against the Minnesota North Stars
- Detroit: Dec. 4, 1926 at Detroit (L, 0-1) – against the Detroit Cougars
- Edmonton: Oct. 24, 1979 at MSG (W, 10-2)
- Florida: Nov. 16, 1993 at Florida (W, 4-2)
- Los Angeles: Oct. 31, 1967 at Los Angeles (W, 6-1)
- Minnesota: Nov. 15, 2000 at Minnesota (W, 3-2)
- Montreal: Nov. 27, 1926 at Montreal (W, 2-0)
- Nashville: Nov. 29, 1998 at MSG (W, 5-1)
- New Jersey: Dec. 29, 1974 at MSG (W, 2-1) – against the Kansas City Scouts
- NY Islanders: Oct. 21, 1972 at Long Island (W, 2-1)
- Ottawa: Oct. 24, 1992 at Ottawa (W, 3-2)
- Philadelphia: Nov. 16, 1967 at Philadelphia (L, 2-3)
- Pittsburgh: Oct. 22, 1967 at MSG (W, 6-4)
- San Jose: Dec. 16, 1991 at MSG (W, 4-3)
- Seattle: Oct. 31, 2021 at Seattle
- St. Louis: Nov. 26, 1967 at MSG (W, 1-0)
- Tampa Bay: Nov. 9, 1992 at MSG (L, 1-5)
- Toronto: Nov. 20, 1926 at Toronto (W, 5-1) – against the Toronto St. Patricks
- Vancouver: Dec. 6, 1970 at MSG (W, 4-1)
- Vegas: Oct. 31, 2017 at MSG (W, 6-4)
- Washington: Oct. 9, 1974 at MSG (W, 6-3)
- Winnipeg: Oct. 17, 1999 at MSG (W, 4-1) – against the Atlanta Thrashers
New York Rangers by the numbers
Rangers own the Road:
In the Blueshirts last four game road trip they won every game. It was the first time since February of 2015 that they posted a perfect trip of at least four games. The 8 road points this season also represents the most points they’ve accumulated in their first five road contests since 2010-11 where they also went 4-1-0.
Adam Fox picked up 3 assists in his last game as he bids for back-to-back Norris Trophies. Going back to last season, his 55 points are tops among all NHL defenseman.
Artemi Panarin finally broke out of his mini slump with a 3 assist performance against his old team the Blue Jackets. He now has 7 points in 8 games this season as he gets close to his over point per game average with the Rangers.
Igor Shesterkin recorded his third career shutout against Columbus. His stats are now 4-1-1 on the season with a .944 save percentage and 1.81 goals against average. He also became the 5th fastest NYR goalie to hit 30 wins in his career.
- Henrik Lundqvist (30 wins in 51 games)
- Jim Henry (51 games)
- Cam Talbot (52)
- Lorne Chabot (52)
- Igor Shesterkin (53)
Rangers Milestones within reach
The Rangers can set a franchise record for the most road wins (5) through the first nine games.
Chris Kreider needs 1 PPG to pass Andy Hebenton (63) for 11th most in franchise history and 1 goal from tying Phil Esposito (184) for the 15th most goals scored in team history.
Mika Zibanejad is also nearing some milestones:
- 1 SHG will tie in the franchise’s top 10 for most shorthanded goals by a Rangers player
- 1 goal away from tying Bill Fairbairn (138) for 31st on Rangers all-time scoring list
- 1 overtime goal away from tying Cecil Dillon, Butch Keeling and Brian Leetch (7 each) for the most overtime goals by a player in Rangers history
Alexandar Georgiev is 2 games away from 100 in his NHL career.
Barclay Goodrow is 5 points away from 100 career points.
Adam Fox is 3 points away from 100 career points.
Rangers Special Teams
- NYR PP improved from 11.5% to 17.5% (5-28), Kreider has all the tallies
- NYR PK went from 78.3% to 80.8% (21-26). they’ve killed off 18 of 19 penalties against
*All Stats and Info courtesy New York Rangers
Three Keys for victory
- Play a smart road game by keeping it simple and managing the puck
- Roll four lines, it will be imperative to stay fresh on this road trip
- Get to Philipp Grubauer early, he’s been the key to their last two straight wins
NHL Rumors Roundup
Vegas finalizing an Eichel trade, Tarasenko still wants out, and so much more here.