The Czar is back! Igor Shesterkin will start, here’s your notes
David Quinn has announced Igor Shesterkin as the Rangers starter for tonight’s game against New Jersey. Here’s some additional news and notes.
Updated Playoff Picture
The Islanders and Canes went to overtime (of course) where Carolina won it on a controversial high stick goal. That eliminates any chance of the Rangers claiming a playoff spot tonight. Here’s the updated standings.
Fans want Hank Scratched
Looks like fans want Henrik Lundqvist to be scratched. The poll is almost over but with almost 1800 votes, 54% of fans want the Rangers to go with a tandem of Shesterkin and Georgiev from here on out.
- All-Time*: 120-93-27-10 (67-32-20-4 at home; 53-61-7-6 on the road)*Note: All-time record includes games against the Kansas City Scouts from 1974-75 – 1975-76 and the Colorado Rockies from 1976-77 – 1981-82
- Tonight’s game is the last of four meetings between the Rangers and Devils, and the second of two meetings between the two teams at MSG. The Rangers have posted a 2-1-0 record (1-0-0 at home; 1-1-0 on the road) and won the last meeting between the two teams, 6-3, on Jan. 9 at MSG.
- Tony DeAngelo registered a hat trick and tallied five points in the last game between the two teams, and he tied single-game franchise records for goals and points by a defenseman in the contest; he leads all skaters with four goals and six points in the season series.
- Alexandar Georgiev – 3 GP, 2-1-0, 2.03 GAA, .934 SV%, 1 SO – Georgiev has made 33 saves in each of his two appearances against the Devils this season, and he posted a shutout in his last appearance against the Devils on Nov. 30, 2019 at New Jersey.
- Igor Shesterkin – 1 GP, 1-0-0, 3.00 GAA, .939 SV% – Shesterkin made a single-game career-high 46 saves and earned a win while making his second career NHL appearance on Jan. 9, 2020 vs. New Jersey.
- Mika Zibanejad – 22 GP, 7-13-20 – Zibanejad has posted a multi-point game in each of the last two games (one goal, three assists) and in five of the last seven games (four goals, eight assists) against the Devils. In addition, he has tallied 17 points (seven goals, 10 assists) in his last 15 games against New Jersey.
Notes courtesy of the New York Rangers PR Dept.