THREE KEYS TO THE RANGERS BEATING THE KINGS
New York Rangers are on their way to play the Los Angeles Kings. These two teams split their regular season meetings and will face-off for the Cup.
We’ve already provided you with the FTHN Magazine preview, and we will continue to bring you more and more coverage leading up to game 1 on Wednesday. Let’s get right to it by revisiting the past.
1. Lundqvist would dominate. The Rangers had it all versus either Flyers goalie, yet Mason came up big.
2. Defense shutting down the Flyers high powered offense, and they did for the most part as Hartnell and Giroux were held in check.
3. Special Teams not a factor. We were wrong here as the PP won the Rangers game 1, then almost cost them the series by not scoring.
1. Get rest! The schedule was a huge hurdle, but AV managed the bench and ice time beautifully.
2. Fix the PP and stay out of the box. Well they didn’t fix the PP as it went 0-36, but they still scored enough key goals to win.
3. Lundqvist must steal 2 games and he most certainly did! His performances in games 6 and 7 killed the Pens and allowed the Rangers to advance.
1. Stay out of the penalty box. The Rangers for the most part did that, save for 1 game. Regardless, the penalty kill was superb and shutdown the vaunted Habs power play.
2. Calling Rick Nash. He had zero goals in the previous 2 rounds yet he had over 50 shots. Rich Nash cashed in on the PP in game 1, scored the winner in game 2 and notched another in game 5.
1. Lundqvist versus Price. Although, it didn’t work out that way, we felt the goalie who elevated their play would win the series. Price got hurt in game 1, and Lundqvist was the better goalie.
Now here are the 3 keys to beating the Kings:
1. WIN GAME 1!
This is a huge key in getting off on the right foot. LA just played their third 7 game series against a rival. After going into OT on Sunday night, the Kings had to fly on Monday and will be practicing on Tuesday. With game 1 being on Wednesday, NY needs to pounce just like they did to the Canadiens.
2. ROLL 4 LINES AND FORECHECK THEM TO DEATH!
The Blueshirts have rolled 4 lines with killer efficiency. Their speed needs to be the one factor the Kings can’t shutdown. Against SJ, the Kings were having a lot of trouble handling their speed. So much so, they went down 0-3. If it wasn’t for LA posing their size and will on every Shark possible to wear them down, they may not even be here right now.
The KINGS have played 21 games, 65.25 periods & 1306.18 minutes of hockey. #NYR 20 games, 60.5 periods & 1210 mins. It will factor in SCF
— FullTilt Rangers (@NYR_FullTilt) June 2, 2014
3. LUNDQVIST MUST WIN THE CONN SMYTHE
Barry Melrose believes the Kings will win the Cup. However, he did tell ESPN Radio NY that if the Rangers wins, it will only happen if Lundqvist plays so well he wins the Conn Smythe. We agree wholeheartedly. At some point Lundqvist must steal a key game. If Henrik can steal 1, NY will have a chance, if he steals 2 the Rangers will be Champions.