Your Rangers’ Chew: 11/13/15 (Stats, Facts, Streaks and Tidbits)
– The Blueshirts are 9-1-1 when scoring the first goal of the game. They are also the only team in the NHL sporting a 100% winning percentage when trailing after the 1st period.
– Troy Brouwer’s power play goal at 14:21 of the 2nd period last night ended an impressive Rangers’ penalty killing streak in Madison Square Garden. The Blueshirts had gone a little over 8 and-a-half home games since allowing their last PPG, having killed 20 consecutive minors in a row! The last player prior to Brouwer to convert on the man-advantage in New York? Winnipeg’s Bryan Little in the 3rd period of October 13th’s 4-1 loss to the Jets. Specifically, it had been 41 minutes & 51 seconds of uninterrupted PK perfection on home ice.
– “The Stat,” as coined by Seth Rothman, went on to live another day in last night’s contest; The Rangers are now 160-1-9 when leading after 2 periods, going back to February 2010. But more specifically, Henrik Lundqvist is now 43-1-9 when leading by 1 goal after the 2nd frame.
– The Rangers are now 9-0-2 in their last 11 games. The last time the franchise went 11 consecutive games without a regulation loss? November 16th, 1993: the Rangers beat the Florida Panthers 4-2 to go 9-0-2-0 over 11 games. They would win their next 3 games before the next regulation loss to ultimately go 14 consecutive games without a regulation loss!
List of NYR Winning Streaks of 7-or-more Games
– Last night’s victory was the team’s 7th in as many games. While it was the 15th time the franchise has put together 7 consecutive regular season wins in the expansion era, it’s the first time its been done in back-to-back seasons since 1973/74 & 74/75.
– A dozen wins in the opening 16 games to kick off a season is a franchise record going back to 1926! 26 standings points in the opening 16 games ties the franchise record.
– This is the 9th time in Lundqvist’s career he’s won 5 consecutive regular season games. 4 of those 9 occasions have come in the Alain Vigneault era, occurring in the past 21 months.
List of Lundqvist’s Winning Streaks of 5-or-more Games
– In the four games since the Rick Nash–Derrick Brassard–Mats Zuccarello line was reassembled, they’ve accumulated 7 goals, 15 assists & 22 points.
– Zuccarello’s goal marked his 8th of the season, having scored them over a period of 15 games. Prior to this season, Zuccarello’s best span of accruing 8 goals had been 27 games (1/16/14 – 4/5/14). He has 9 points (4 goals & 5 assists) in his last 6 games.
– Lundqvist has now won a home game against the other 29 teams in the NHL, having never won an MSG match against the Blues prior to last night. It only took him a decade and a month.
– Of the 21 NHL goaltenders to have played 610+ minutes this season, Lundqvist is the lone netminder to have NOT allowed 4-or-more goals in a game thus far. In fact, he’s allowed 3-or-less goals in 37 of his last 39 regular season games, dating back to December 8th, 2014.
– The Rangers’ potently spread-out offense continues to roll on. Their 3.19 goals-per-game leads the Metropolitan Division, and ranks 4th in the league. The question of long-term sustainability remains as the team ranks 25th of 30 in shots generated per game (28.1), while surrendering the 4th most league-wide (32.2).
– The Rangers lead the NHL in 1st period goals with 20. They’ve also allowed the fewest goals in the 2nd & 3rd period, only surrendering 9 in each over their 16 games.
– Their 44 even-strength goals rank 1st in the league, while their 7 power play goals are 2nd-from-last.
– The only team in the NHL without a player to have taken 39+ shots on goal? You guessed it: the Rangers.
– One-fifth through the season, and I’m wondering how outdated Lundqvist’s ‘Top Career Saves’ already is. The man keeps giving us absolute goalie porn game after game after game.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Follow me on Twitter at @HockeyStatMiner!