New York Rangers updated playoff odds and power rankings
The New York Rangers are currently enjoying a long break before a furious finish to the regular season with 33 games in 66 days starting on February 6 against the Calgary Flames at the Garden.
At 27-14-8 for 62 points, the Blueshirts hold third place in the Metro Division. The team sits six points behind the New Jersey Devils for second and four points up on the fourth place Washington Capitals, who hold the first wild card spot in the East.
Let’s dive into where the Rangers standing in the latest NHL Power Rankings and check in on their playoffs odds.
New York Rangers Power Rankings
Over at our sister site The Daily Goal Horn, which covers the entire league, the Blueshirts ranked 7th for the month of January. A small drop off from December when the team rattled off seven straight wins.
2022-23 Top 10 Teams (January):
- Boston Bruins (38-7-5)
- Carolina Hurricanes (32-9-8)
- New Jersey Devils (32-13-4) NEW
- Seattle Kraken (29-15-5) NEW
- Toronto Maple Leafs (31-12-8) ⬇️
- Tampa Bay Lightning (32-15-1) NEW
- New York Rangers (27-14-8) ⬇️
- Dallas Stars (28-13-10) ⬇️
- Winnipeg Jets (31-19-1) ⬇️
- Edmonton Oilers (28-18-4) NEW
2022-23 Top 10 Teams (December):
- Boston Bruins (27-4-2) ⬆️
- Carolina Hurricanes (22-6-6) NEW
- Toronto Maple Leafs (21-7-6) ⬆️
- Vegas Golden Knights (24-11-1) ⬇️
- New York Rangers (19-11-5) NEW
- Dallas Stars (20-9-6) ⬇️
- Pittsburgh Penguins (19-9-5) NEW
- Winnipeg Jets (21-12-1) ⬆️
- Washington Capitals (19-13-4) NEW
- Los Angeles Kings (19-12-6) NEW
7. New York Rangers: After a slow start to the season, the Rangers responded to captain Jacob Trouba’s helmet toss after a miserable loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at home on December 3. Since that time, they’re 16-4-3 which includes an 8-2-2 January run. New York is buoyed by three NHL All-Stars in Igor Shesterkin, Artemi Panarin, and Adam Fox.
Rangers Playoff Odds and Other Rankings
Per the website MoneyPuck, the New York Rangers chances of making the playoffs are at 73.4%. They currently have a 1.6% chance of winning the Cup, with the Carolina Hurricanes having the best Cup odds at 14.2%.
Taking a look at some of the Power Rankings around the league, here’s how the New York Rangers rank with several top media outlets:
- 10th at NHL.com
- 9th at ESPN
- 10th at The Athletic
- 8th at Daily Faceoff
- 6th at TSN
Dan Rosen, who covers the Rangers for NHL.com focused on the play of All-Star Adam Fox in his latest rankings.
“Adam Fox is having a season worthy of being in the discussion for the Norris Trophy given to the best defenseman in the NHL and is the Rangers’ most valuable player. He’s third on New York with 42 points (eight goals, 34 assists), trailing forwards Artemi Panarin (45 points) and Mika Zibanejad (44). He is fourth among NHL defensemen in points, third in assists, third in even-strength points (26) and ninth overall in average ice time per game (25:02).”NHL.com
Kristen Shilton of ESPN highlighted the tough Metro Division and the need to add key pieces at the trade deadline.
Teams are breathing down their neck already, and to hold tight in the top three, GM Chris Drury can’t be shy about adding a player (or two) ahead of the trade deadline. That insurance would help prevent New York from slipping into wild-card territory.ESPN
NHL News and Rumors
NHL Recaps. All the latest scores here.
Devils serious players for Timo Meier trade. Read more.