New York Rangers prospect report and WJC updates
The New York Rangers have released their prospect report for December 7, 2020. In this edition, we check in on two top picks and some WJC updates
Below are excerpts from the official report provided to the media via the New York Rangers.
Nils Lundkvist and Vitali Kravtsov lead the charge
- Nils Lundkvist tallied an assist/point in two of three games during the past week (two assists) and recorded seven shots on goal in the three contests. The Rangers’ first round pick (28th overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft has registered 11 points (five goals, six assists) and 57 shots on goal in 19 SHL games in 2020-21, and he has averaged 20:33 of ice time per game in the 19 contests. Lundkvist is tied for second among SHL defensemen in goals and is tied for ninth among SHL defensemen in points this season, and he also leads SHL defensemen who are in their U21 season or younger in goals and points in 2020-21.
- Vitali Kravtsov registered a power play goal, posted a plus-two rating, and led all forwards on his team with 20:23 of ice time on Dec. 3 against Dinamo Riga. Kravtsov logged at least 19:00 of ice time in each of Traktor’s three games during the past week, including 20:00 or more of ice time in two of those contests. The Rangers’ first round pick (ninth overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft has recorded 13 points (nine goals, four assists), a plus-seven rating, and 74 shots on goal in 27 KHL games with Traktor this season.
- Yegor Rykov tallied an assist and posted a plus-one rating on Dec. 3 against Dinamo Minsk. He has posted a plus-five rating over the last three games, and he has registered eight assists and a plus-eight rating in 30 KHL games with CSKA Moscow this season.
NYR Prospects and the World Juniors
- Hunter Skinner was added to the United States’ preliminary roster for the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. He is attending the team’s Training Camp, which runs from Dec. 6 – Dec. 13. The Rangers’ fourth round pick (112th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft registered 32 points (six goals, 26 assists) and a plus-22 rating in 62 games with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) last season.
- Brett Berard was named to the United States’ preliminary roster for the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. He is attending the team’s Training Camp, which runs from Dec. 6 – Dec. 13.
- Leevi Aaltonen was named to Finland’s preliminary roster for the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (130th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has registered six points (three goals, three assists) in five games with IPK in Mestis this season.
*Thanks again to the NYR PR staff for gathering this great info.
Alexis Lafreniere not going to the WJC
“After ongoing discussions with the New York Rangers, Hockey Canada has been informed that Alexis Lafrenière will not be released to represent Canada at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship in Edmonton,” Scott Salmond, senior vice-president of national teams for Hockey Canada said in a statement. “Although we are disappointed Alexis will not be able to join our team for World Juniors, we understand and respect the decision made by the Rangers.”
Karl Henriksson tests positive for COVID-19, removed from Team Sweden
The New York Rangers 2nd round pick from 2019, Karl Henriksson has been removed from the WJC for Sweden due to COVID-19. He is the second Blueshirts prospect along with Oliver Tarnstrom to contract the coronavirus.
Latest NHL News