Rangers roll is building to a rumble, knock off Habs 5-2
The Rangers entered the third period down by 1. When it was all said and done, they won by 3. That is simply how good this Rangers team has been as they have now earned their 9th straight win on the road. It’s been some run and don’t look now, but they are 5 behind the 3rd place Flyers with a home and home starting tomorrow.
Georgiev the Great
Alexandar Georgiev was the rock this win was built on. As the Rangers struggled to find their legs, it was the young goalie who made some amazing stops. The Rangers were down 2 late into the 2nd period, but if not for Georgiev it could’ve been a lot worse. He ended the game with 29 saves on 31 shots.
What an amazing rookie season Adam Fox is having. The young defender had the first Montreal goal go off his skate, but he maintained his composure and started the 5 unanswered goals comeback with an amazing set up for Phil DiGiuseppe.
Fox would later go on to score the game winning goal off a screen but that pass was a thing of beauty. The kid now has 7 goals and 34 points on the season.
Rangers Dynamic Duo
Artemi Panarin and Mika Zibanejad are still the engines that drive this train down the tracks. Mika would tie the game at 2 with his 30th of the season set up by Panarin. The Breadman picked up another assist on Strome’s power play goal and his season totals are now up to 87 points.
Ryan Strome who is an RFA this summer has solidified himself as the team’s #2 center scored twice and added an assist. He now has 18 goals and 57 points on the year and making Jeff Gorton look like a genius. The trade for Strome was straight up for Ryan Spooner.
Post Game Notes
- The Rangers extended their road winning streak to nine games (dating back to Jan. 16 at NY Islanders) and have outscored their opponents, 35-17, over the nine contests. The Blueshirts’ nine-game road winning streak is the longest in franchise history and is also the longest road winning streak in the NHL in 2019-20.
- The Rangers extended their winning streak to five games, which is a new season-high.
- The Rangers have posted an 11-3-0 record in February this season. The Blueshirts’ 11 wins in February in 2019-20 are the most the team has earned in the month in one season in franchise history (New York previously earned 10 wins in February in 1971-72, 2014-15, and 2015-16).
- Adam Fox tallied two points (one goal, one assist), including the game-winning goal, tied a single-game career-high with five shots on goal, and posted a plus-two rating in 21:35 of ice time. He was selected as the game’s First Star. Fox is tied for first among NHL rookie defensemen in game-winning goals this season (four).
- Mika Zibanejad tallied a goal and registered four shots on goal in 21:34 of ice time. He was selected as the game’s Second Star. Zibanejad extended his point streak to nine games (eight goals, seven assists), adding to his career-high. He also extended his goal streak to six games, establishing a new career-high, and he has registered a goal in eight of the nine games during his nine-game point streak.
Notes courtesy of the NYR PR Dept.