The New York Rangers have released their prospect report for October 19, 2020. In this edition, the Finnish prospects take center stage with Tarmo Reunanen leading the way.
Below are excerpts from the official report provided to the media via the New York Rangers.
Finnish New York Rangers prospects
- Tarmo Reunanen recorded two points (one goal, one assist), including the game-winning goal in overtime, and posted a plus-two rating in 24:27 of ice time on Oct. 16 against K-Vantaa, and he led all skaters with 27:35 of ice time on Oct. 17 against K-Vantaa. The Rangers’ fourth round pick (98th overall) in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft has registered three points (two goals, one assist), a plus-three rating, and 22 shot attempts in three games with TUTO Hockey in Mestis (Finland’s second-highest professional league) this season, and he has also averaged 25:32 of ice time per game in the three contests.
- Leevi Aaltonen tallied an assist and posted a plus-two rating in KalPa’s win against HPK on Oct. 17. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (130th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has recorded one assist in five games with KalPa in Liiga in 2020-21.
Nils Lundkvist still atop the Swedish prospect chart
- Nils Lundkvist skated in two games with Lulea during the past week, logging 21:21 and 19:04 of ice time in the two contests. The Rangers’ first round pick (28th overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft has registered three points (two goals, one assist), a plus-one rating, and 20 shots on goal in eight SHL games in 2020-21, and he has averaged 19:56 of ice time in the eight contests. Lundkvist’s 20 shots on goal thus far this season are tied for the ninth-most by an SHL defenseman.
- Oliver Tarnstrom tallied an assist, recorded five shots on goal, and posted a plus-two rating on Oct. 16 against Lulea’s J20 team, notched two assists on Oct. 17 against Lulea’s J20 team, and posted a plus-two rating on Oct. 18 against Skelleftea AIK’s J20 team. The Rangers’ third round pick (92nd overall) in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft has split the start of the 2020-21 season between AIK in Allsvenskan and AIK’s J20 team in J20 Nationell, and he has registered six points (three goals, three assists) and a plus-six rating in seven games with AIK’s J20 team. Tarnstrom has primarily played center on AIK J20’s first line this season.
- Karl Henriksson skated in three games with Frolunda during the past week, and he logged 14:34, 15:42, and 14:51 of ice time in the three contests. The Rangers’ second round pick (58th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has registered two assists and eight shots on goal in eight games with Frolunda in 2020-21, and he has averaged 14:54 of ice time per game in the eight contests.
- Hugo Ollas made 21 saves and earned a win with Linkoping’s J20 team on Oct. 17 against Vaxjo’s J20 team. The Rangers’ seventh round pick (197th overall) in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft has posted a 7-1-1 record, along with a 2.20 GAA, a .906 SV%, and 1 SO in nine appearances with Linkoping’s J20 team in J20 Nationell in 2020-21.
- Calle Sjalin notched an assist and recorded three shots on goal on Oct. 15 against IK Oskarshamn, and he posted a plus-one rating on Oct. 17 against Rogle. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (145th overall) in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft has tallied two assists in eight SHL games with Leksands in 2020-21. Sjalin is tied for first among defensemen on Leksands in assists and points this season.
Russian Rangers prospects
- Yegor Rykov tied single-game KHL career-highs with two assists and two points on Oct. 16 against SKA, as he tallied two power play assists to help CSKA Moscow earn a 3-1 win. He has registered five assists and a plus-seven rating in 16 KHL games in 2020-21. Rykov is tied for eighth among KHL defensemen in plus/minus rating this season.
As I noted earlier this morning, there appears to be a bit of a media blackout on Vitali Kravtsov’s injury. I have reached out to HC Traktor for an update.
The information provided in this report comes from the NYR’s amazing PR staff.