Zachary Jones hot start highlights New York Rangers prospect report
The New York Rangers have released their prospect report for November 30, 2020. In this edition, U.S. born Zac Jones shows why the organization is envisioning him on Broadway in the future.
Below are excerpts from the official report provided to the media via the New York Rangers.
New York Rangers prospect report has Zac Jones on top
- Zachary Jones tallied a shorthanded goal on Nov. 27 at Boston College, and he recorded three shots on goal on Nov. 28 vs. Boston College. The Rangers’ third round pick (68th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has recorded three points (two goals, one assist) in four games with UMass thus far in 2020-21, and he has notched a point in three of the four contests. Jones is one of three NCAA defensemen who have registered two goals thus far this season. In addition, his three points and 13 shots on goal are each tied for the fourth-most among NCAA defensemen in 2020-21.
We recently spoke with Zac Jones and asked him who he models his game after. “As a kid I liked Erik Karlsson, but now that I am a bit older, I try to model my game after Torey Krug, a smaller guy, offensive, responsible in his D-zone,” he said.
The other Finns are heating up
We all know who Kaapo Kakko is, but the Rangers have a few other Finnish prospect to keep an eye on.
- Lauri Pajuniemi recorded a point in each of TPS’ three games during the past week, registering three points (two goals, one assist), a plus-three rating, and 12 shot attempts during the week. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (132nd overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft extended his point streak to four games (three goals, one assist), and he has also posted a plus-one rating in each of the four games. Pajuniemi has tallied six points (four goals, two assists) and 44 shot attempts (26 of which have been on goal) in 11 games with TPS in 2020-21.
- Tarmo Reunanen notched an assist and recorded five shot attempts while skating in a game-high 24:29 of ice time on Nov. 25 against Jukurit, and he tied for the game-high with seven shot attempts while skating in a game-high 24:25 of ice time on Nov. 28 against HIFK.
- Leevi Aaltonen tallied a point in each of the three games he played with IPK in Mestis during the past week (one goal, two assists). The Rangers’ fifth round pick (130th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has registered six points (three goals, three assists) in five games with IPK this season.
Prospects in the KHL
- Vitali Kravtsov tallied an assist and posted a plus-one rating in Traktor’s 4-3 overtime win on Nov. 26 against Avtomobilist (he was on the ice for three of the team’s four goals, including all three goals in regulation). The Rangers’ first round pick (ninth overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft has recorded 12 points (eight goals, four assists), a plus-eight rating, and 69 shots on goal in 24 KHL games with Traktor this season. Kravtsov leads Traktor in even strength goals (seven) and shots on goal per game (2.9).
- Yegor Rykov tied a single-game KHL career-high by posting a plus-three rating on Nov. 28 against Avtomobilist. He has registered seven assists and a plus-six rating in 28 games with CSKA Moscow this season.
Nils Lundkvist still shining bright among Swedish prospects
- Nils Lundkvist recorded four shots on goal and led all skaters with seven shot attempts in 23:00 of ice time on Nov. 24 against HV71. The Rangers’ first round pick (28th overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft has registered nine points (five goals, four assists) and 50 shots on goal in 16 SHL games in 2020-21, and he has averaged 20:46 of ice time per game in the 16 contests. Lundkvist is tied for second among SHL defensemen in goals this season, and he also leads SHL defensemen who are in their U21 season or younger in goals and points in 2020-21.
- Karl Henriksson tied for the game-high (and established a single-game SHL career-high) with four shots on goal on Nov. 28 against Djurgardens. The Rangers’ second round pick (58th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has registered four assists and 21 shots on goal in 18 SHL games with Frolunda in 2020-21, and he has averaged 13:44 of ice time per game in the 18 contests.
Wolf Pack goalie getting it done
- Adam Huska stopped 32 of 33 shots and earned a win on Nov. 29 against HC’05 Banska Bystrica. The Rangers’ seventh round pick (184th overall) in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft has posted a 2-0-0 record, along with a 1.50 GAA and a .948 SV% (55 saves on 58 shots) in two appearances with HKM Zvolen in Slovak Extraliga thus far this season.
Thanks again to the NYR PR staff for gathering this great info. Read the complete report in the link below.
Latest NHL Rumors
The latest batch of NHL rumors are out and you don’t want to miss it.