Battle of New York for Artemi Panarin
After what felt like a tornado of rumors, the speculation winds churned for hours last night. This morning, after the weather finally died down, the sun is shining and it appears Artemi Panarin is heading for NY.
But which team?
So, let’s quickly breakdown the madness that started late last night:
- Bob McKenzie tweets out that the Islanders are the favorite to land Panarin, doesn’t even mention the Rangers
- Rumors have the Islanders are at $12M, eliminating the Panthers
- McKenzie mentions Rangers still in it
- Adrian Dater claims Colorado made a pitch of $12.5M but for less term
- Columbus then makes a last ditch effort and offers 12 to 12.5M for years (they are the only team that can do that but expires at midnight)
- Friedman confirms information above and states he expects Panarin to sign with the Islanders for 7 years at around 12.5M
- Friedman claims NYR won’t do that
- Midnight passes, 8 years off the table
Last night we wrote about the Nuclear option that the Rangers can front load a contract and eliminate any team from competing for Panarin’s services.
The problem is Panarin’s known this kind of money was available from the Blue Jackets for at least a year. So, unless his position on staying changes in the last hours before July 1, it’s unlikely. I wrote earlier, “The expected outcome is Panarin and Semyon Varlamov to the Islanders (Panarin at seven years, between $11-12M).” Since that was published, a few people reached out to indicate that they think Panarin is getting $12.5M or close to it, wherever he goes. The Rangers are not inclined to get there, but multiple sources indicated Colorado offered it, albeit on a shorter term. Crazy times.Friedman
This morning, Darren Dreger finally chimed in and said:
Today at 12:00PM this saga will come to an end.