The “Bruisedshirts” will try and hold the fort against Detroit (DET vs NYR 8pm)
As we noted here, Derek Stepan has yet to participate in a full practice leaving AV to call his chances of playing tonight “slim”. Mats Zuccarello may give it a go, which would park Ryan Malone in the press box. It’s all hands on deck again for the Black and Bruisedshirts!
Game 12: Detroit Red Wings at New York Rangers, Madison Square Garden 8PM (NBCSN RIVALRY NIGHT)
Daily Faceoff’s Goalie Matchup
– Note click the Daily Faceoff link throughout the day for confirmed starters
News & Notes
— New York Rangers (@NYRangers) November 5, 2014
Vigneault coaches his 900th game tomorrow, which will be seventh among active coaches.
— Rangers Report (@rangersreport) November 5, 2014
Mats Zuccarello said he feels better and will test himself at morning skate to see if he can give “100 percent.” — Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) November 4, 2014
Kevin Klein on ice, seems recovered from bruised foot — Steve Zipay (@stevezipay) November 5, 2014
RANGERS TO WATCH
1. Dan Girardi – Are we staring at a 3rd consecutive game of 30 plus minutes for the default #1 defenseman? Big G will have his hands full tonight with some of the Wings’ high flying forwards in Datsyuk and Nyquist.
2. Conor Allen / Dylan McIlrath – They are on here again. While they were serviceable in their combined 21 minutes, tonight’s Red Wings team is not better than the Blues but certainly a bit faster. If McIlrath is on the ice against Datsyuk at any point and time, it could be a disaster. – If Klein can go, McIlrath will sit.
3. Chris Kreider – He was a beast against St. Louis using his size and speed to create offense. He fired 5 shots and got one goal (on the pp). Kreider is on the verge of realizing his NHL potential, a similar effort is required tonight.
EYE ON THE ENEMY
1. Gustav Nyquist – If you also read our NHL site www.FullTiltHockeyNetwork.com – you know I have a bonafide man crush on this guy. Nyquist is hockey’s unknown star, but his name is quickly growing recognition. He currently has 7 goals and 9 points for the Wings this season.
2. Pavel Datsyuk – Yup, the Captain Obvious choice. As I said before, the “Magic Man” will expose the Rangers neophyte defense if they’re not careful.
3. Jonas Gustavsson – Before you go celebrating the fact that the Rangers aren’t facing Jimmy Howard tonight, realize he’s coming into the game with a 1.45 GAA and .935 save percentage.
With the Blueshirt loss in a shootout the Forecast record is now 7-4.
Are the Rangers lucky that they are catching the Wings on the second game of a back to back? It’s possible, although the Wings lost to the Senators 3-1. Detroit will be coming in like a disturbed bee hive and try to sting the Rangers early.
The difference for the Rangers tonight will be The King back in between the pipes. Still, it’s going to take some good coaching and smart changes on the fly to keep McIlrath away from the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Nyquist. Thankfully, AV has last change to improve his chances of sheltering his young D.
If Kevin Klein can go tonight, it will help the Rangers chances immensely.
Rangers win this in regulation tonight 3-2.