New York Rangers prospect report has Nils Lundkvist continuing to impress with his skills
The New York Rangers have released their prospect report for January 18, 2021. In this edition, Nils Lundkvist leads the pack as he continues to impress in Sweden’s top leagu.
Below are excerpts from the official report provided to the media via the New York Rangers.
New York Rangers top prospect: Nils Lundkvist
- Nils Lundkvist notched an assist/point and posted a plus-one rating in each of the two games he played during the past week (two assists), and he also recorded six shots on goal on Jan. 14 against Brynas. The Rangers’ first round pick (28th overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft extended his point streak to three games (two goals, two assists, plus-four rating, 14 shots on goal over the span), and he has also tallied a point in six of the last seven games (four goals, three assists), in nine of the last 11 games (four goals, six assists), in 11 of the last 14 games (four goals, eight assists), and in 14 of the last 19 games (seven goals, 10 assists). Lundkvist has registered 21 points (nine goals, 12 assists), a plus-seven rating and 97 shots on goal in 31 SHL games in 2020-21, and he has averaged 20:30 of ice time per game in the 31 contests.
The 20 year-old blue-liner is showing a maturity well beyond his playing years. He is tied for first among all SHL defenseman for goals and 8th overall in points. His playmaking was also on full display this past week. Just feast your eyes on this Lundkvist pass for a game-winning goal.
ALSO READ: NILS LUNDKVIST ON HIS RANGERS FUTURE
New York Rangers European Prospects
- Vitali Kravtsov tallied an assist and posted a plus-one rating on Jan. 17 against Lokomotiv, and he tied for the team-high with four shots on goal on Jan. 14 against Vityaz. The Rangers’ first round pick (ninth overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft has recorded 19 points (13 goals, six assists), a plus-five rating, and 106 shots on goal in 39 KHL games with Traktor this season. Kravtsov has recorded a point in four of the last seven games (three goals, one assist) and in six of the last 10 contests (four goals, two assists).
- Lauri Pajuniemi tallied an assist and registered eight shot attempts (five of which were on goal) on Jan. 15 against Jukurit. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (132nd overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft extended his point streak to eight games (five goals, three assists), which is a Liiga career-high. Among the 177 skaters who have played at least 60 games in Liiga since the start of the 2019-20 season, Pajuniemi is the only one averaging at least 0.50 goals per game over the span.
- Leevi Aaltonen notched an assist and posted a plus-one rating on Jan. 12 against Sport. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (130th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has recorded three assists in 16 games with KalPa in Liiga this season.
- Adam Edstrom tallied a goal, was credited with four hits, and posted a plus-one rating on Jan. 16 against HV71, and he also registered six hits in 15:30 of ice time on Jan. 12 against Leksands. The Rangers’ sixth round pick (161st overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft has recorded seven points (two goals, five assists) and a plus-four rating in 29 SHL games with Rogle this season.
- Calle Sjalin tallied an assist and registered four shots on goal on Jan. 14 against Linkoping. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (145th overall) in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft has recorded four points (one goal, three assists) in 33 SHL games with Leksands this season.
New York Rangers North American Prospects
- Zachary Jones notched an assist and registered five shots on goal on Jan. 17 vs. Boston University. The Rangers’ third round pick (68th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft extended his point streak to seven games, which is a collegiate career-high (three goals, eight assists over the span), and he has tallied 14 points (five goals, nine assists) in 14 games with UMass this season. Jones has notched at least one point in 10 of 14 games this season, and UMass has posted a 7-2-1 record in those 10 contests.
- Brett Berard tallied his first career collegiate assist on Jan. 15 against Maine, and he recorded three shots on goal and posted a plus-two rating on Jan. 16 against Maine. The Rangers’ fifth round pick (134th overall) in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft has registered two points (one goal, one assists) and 18 shots on goal in six games with Providence College this season.
- Eric Ciccolini tallied the game-winning goal on Jan. 15 against Ohio State and notched an assist on the game-winning goal on Jan. 16 against Ohio State. The Rangers’ seventh round pick (205th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft extended his point streak to four games, which is a collegiate career-high (one goal, three assists over the span). Ciccolini has registered six points (three goals, three assists) and a plus-six rating in 12 games with the University of Michigan this season, and the team has posted a 5-1-0 record in games which he has notched a point.
Editor’s Note: Thank you to the NYR for compiling this great info. Link to full report will be added when available.
Latest NHL News
Keith Yandle scores amid controversy and big names on NHL’s COVID List.