Rangers get offensive boost as Artemi Panarin expected versus the Flyers
The Rangers mustered two goals and no wins in the two games Artemi Panarin missed. Tonight, they take on the Philadelphia Flyers who are also coming off COVID postponements. It’s been 10 days since their last game and the Blueshirts shouldn’t be surprised if they come out buzzing just like the Devils.
Rangers: 4-7-3 (11 pts)
Flyers: 8-3-2 (18 pts)
There is no morning skate today, and David Quinn is expected to address the media at 5:45 p.m..
Rangers vs Flyers: Artemi Panarin and K’Andre Miller return to action
New York was dealt a serious blow with the news that Jacob Trouba would miss 4-6 weeks due to a broken thumb. It occurred in the second period versus NJ on a shot block.
“We’re going to miss everything he brings,” David Quinn said yesterday. “But the good news is it’s not as serious as we originally thought and he’s going to be back sooner than later.”
The Rangers practiced yesterday with a defense pairing of K’Andre Miller and Brendan Smith. Artemi Panarin took back his spot on the second line with Ryan Strome and Kaapo Kakko. It will be nice to have the team’s leading scorer back.
Alexis Lafreniere was moved to the third line which is being centered by Kevin Rooney and flanked with Colin Blackwell.
No goalie announced, Alexandar Georgiev expected
David Quinn did not announce a goaltender for tonight’s contest but I expect Alexandar Georgiev to get the nod. In his 4 career starts against the Flyers he is 1-3-0, with a 2.54 GAA, and a 919 SV%. Georgiev also has a shutout to his credit.
NY will then take on the Capitals on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. which makes sense for Igor Shesterkin to start as he beat them last time.
Pre Game Notes
- All-Time vs Flyers: 132-122-37-9 (69-52-23-5 at home; 63-70-14-4 on the road)
- The Rangers posted a 0-3-0 record (0-1-0 at home; 0-2-0 on the road) against them last season. Mika Zibanejad (two goals, one assist) and Artemi Panarin (three assists) tied for the team lead with three points in the season series.
- Artemi Panarin – 15 GP, 6-14-20 – Panarin has registered a point in eight of his last nine games against the Flyers (three goals, 12 assists), and he has posted a multi-point game in six of his last eight contests against Philadelphia.
- Ryan Strome – 1 goal away from 100 in his NHL career; 2 points away from 100 with the Rangers
- Pavel Buchnevich – 1 point away from passing Sergei Zubov for the third-most points by a Russian-born player in franchise history; 7 assists away from 100 in his NHL career/with the Rangers
- The Rangers rank second in the NHL in shots on goal per game in 2020-21 (32.1) and have recorded 30 or more shots on goal in 10 of the last 13 games. The Rangers have allowed 29.0 shots on goal against per game this season, which is the 12th-fewest in the NHL.
- Eleven of the Rangers’ last 12 games, and 11 of the team’s 14 games this season, have been decided by two or fewer goals, and eight of those contests have been decided by one goal.
NHL SCORES: McDavid notches 500th point
All of last night’s action.