Rangers look to keep the momentum going tonight against the Capitals as Quinn sets record straight on Kakko
Rangers vs Capitals: Tonight the Blueshirts will look to build on their gutsy 3-1 win against the Penguins. They face the Capitals at MSG, and it will be no easy task as Washington has been one of the best teams in the East Division this season. Igor Shesterkin gets the nod in net.
(7:00 p.m. ET – TV: MSG Network)
Rangers: 3-4-2 (8 pts)
Capitals: 6-1-3 (15 pts)
Rangers vs Capitals: Kaapo Kakko returns and Quinn wants to make something clear
There was some concern when Kaapo Kakko turned up on the NHL’s COVID Protocol List due to being a diabetic. His stint was brief as he was back on the ice for practice yesterday.
He will play on a line with Artemi Panarin and Ryan Strome but David Quinn wanted to make some things clear about his young star today.
“Everybody has to stop comparing him to where we want him to be, the ultimate player,” he said. “We have a vision of what we think Kaapo Kakko is going to look like. He’s 19 years old. Our job is to continue to monitor him and make sure he continues to get better and better.”
The head coach finished with what we are all seeing. “He’s doing that.”
Libor Hajek and Lady Liberty debut
Libor Hajek will finally get his chance to prove he belongs in the lineup. If the 22 year-old defenseman hopes to be a part of the Rangers future he needs to play a solid game tonight for starters.
Also, the Rangers will debut their Reverse Retros for the first time this season. Learn more here.
Pre Game Notes:
- All-Time vs Washington: 99-97-18-11 (55-44-9-5 at home; 44-53-9-6 on the road)
- The Rangers have earned at least one point in 25 of their last 38 games against Washington, dating back to Dec. 12, 2010 (19-13-6 record).
- The Rangers have earned at least one point in each of the last three games (2-0-1 record), as well as in four of the last six games.
- Carl Hagelin played parts of four seasons with the Rangers (2011-12 – 2014-15) and helped the team advance to the Stanley Cup Final in 2013-14.
- Capitals Head Coach Peter Laviolette played 12 games with the Rangers during the 1988-89 season.
- Mika Zibanejad – 25 GP, 10-9-19 – Zibanejad established single-game career-highs with five goals and five points, and tied a Rangers’ single-game franchise record for goals, in his last game against Washington on Mar. 5, 2020 at MSG. s (eight goals, eight assists) in his last 16 contests against the Capitals.
- Ryan Strome – 24 GP, 5-11-16 – Strome has tallied a point in seven of his last 12 games against Washington (three goals, four assists).
- Artemi Panarin – 15 GP, 8-7-15 – Panarin has tallied a point in each of his last five games against Washington (five goals, three assists), and he has also registered a point in eight of his last nine contests against the Capitals (seven goals, five assists).
Pre Game Notes courtesy of the NYR
Latest NHL Rumors
Tony DeAngelo heading West? And more trade rumors here.