Rangers vs Canucks by the numbers: Going for road win six
The New York Rangers will face the Vancouver Canucks for the first time this season. Boasting the best road record in the NHL (tied with the Flames), the Blueshirts look to build off their last game in Seattle.
Here’s the game day preview by the numbers.
NYR: 6-2-1 (13 POINTS)
VAN: 3-5-1 (7 POINTS)
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2021 – 10:00 PM ET ROGERS ARENA
TV: MSG Network
RADIO: 98.7 FM
Rangers last game: 3-1 win vs Seattle Kraken
[brid autoplay=”true” video=”860699″ player=”25579″ title=”5%20Teams%20That%20May%20Surprise%20This%20NHL%20Season” duration=”60″ description=”These five teams could surprise during the 2021-22 NHL Season! The Rangers, Blackhawks, Bruins, Canucks, and Kraken are ready to go.” uploaddate=”2021-09-09″ thumbnailurl=”//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/19073/thumb/860699_t_1631222625.png” contentUrl=”//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/19073/sd/860699.mp4″]
RANGERS VS. CANUCKS
All-Time: 81-35-8-1 (43-15-5-1 at home; 38-20-3-0 on the road)
These teams will meet for the first time since January 4, 2020. The Canucks picked up the home win 2-1.
The Blueshirts current five-game winning streak on the road is tied for the 11th longest streak in franchise history and longest since winning nine straight from Jan. 16-Feb. 27, 2020.
Rangers top scorers vs VAN:
Mika Zibanejad – 14 GP, 5G-7A—12P – Zibanejad has two assists in his last three games against the Canucks. In eight games against Vancouver as a member of the Rangers, Zibanejad has two goals and four assists for six points and a plus-1 rating. On Dec. 7, 2014 while with Ottawa, Zibanejad recorded a four-point (2G-2A) game against the Canucks.
Artemi Panarin – 12 GP, 2G-8A—10P – Panarin has eight points (1G-7A) in his last six games against the Canucks and has three points on the power play. On March 31, 2018, Panarin had four assists in Vancouver as a Columbus Blue Jacket.
Chris Kreider – 12 GP, 3G-4A—7P – Kreider had an assist the last time he faced off against the Canucks (Jan. 4, 2020). On Nov. 30, 2013 against Vancouver, Kreider recorded his first career hat trick.
New York Rangers by the numbers
Rangers dangerous in the third period:
The Rangers have scored 13 goals in the third period, tied for third most in the NHL.
Rangers strong with a lead:
The Blueshirts four wins when leading after the first period is tied for 4th in the league.
Chris Kreider’s 7 goals on the season is tied for 2nd in the NHL. Alex Ovechkin leads with 9.
Adam Fox has 9 points in 9 games this season and has just signed a 7 year extension. Going back to last season, his 56 points leads all defensemen in scoring.
Igor Shesterkin is the road warrior with a perfect 4-0-0 record and a .970 SV% to go with a remarkable 0.99 GAA.
Rangers Milestones within reach
Chris Kreider’s hot start has him hitting and reaching several milestones this season:
- 1 goal away from passing Phil Esposito (184) for 15th all-time on Rangers goal list
- 1 PPG from passing Andy Hebenton 963) for sole passion of 11th all time
Mika Zibanejad is also nearing some milestones:
- 1 SHG will tie in the franchise’s top 10 for most shorthanded goals by a Rangers player
- 1 goal away from tying Bill Fairbairn (138) for 31st on Rangers all-time scoring list
- 1 overtime goal away from tying Cecil Dillon, Butch Keeling and Brian Leetch (7 each) for the most overtime goals by a player in Rangers history
Alexandar Georgiev is 2 games away from 100 in his NHL career.
Barclay Goodrow is 3 points away from 100 career points.
Adam Fox is 2 points away from 100 career points.
Rangers Special Teams
- NYR PP is running at a 16.1% clip (5-31)
- NYR PK heats up at 83.3%, they’ve killed off 21 of last 22 penalties against
*All Stats and Info courtesy New York Rangers
Three Keys for victory
- Keep it simple as Vancouver is still winless at home – take advantage of their aggressive play
- Need more from the bottom six. A goal from the 3rd or 4th line could go a long way
- Feed Panarin the puck. Whatever was causing his slump seems to be in the rearview mirror
Is Shea Theodore going the other way in an Jack Eichel trade? Read more.