Rangers vs Oilers By The Numbers: Big test on tap for Shesterkin
The New York Rangers will face the Edmonton Oilers for the first time this season. They will have their hands full with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. Can Igor Shesterkin stop the Dynamic Duo himself?
Here’s the game day preview by the numbers.
NYR: 6-2-2 (14 POINTS)
EDM: 8-1-0 (16 POINTS)
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2021 – 9:30 PM ET ROGERS PLACE
TV: MSG PLUS
RADIO: ESPN 1050 AM
Rangers last game: 3-2 loss vs Vancouver Canucks
RANGERS VS. OILERS
All-Time: 33-33-9-3 (15-18-6-1 at home; 18-15-3-2 on the road)
The Blueshirts have managed just one point in their last three contests against the Oilers, with the last meeting coming on March 11, 2019.
The Blueshirts are off to their best start since the 2016-17 season with 14 points in their first 10 games. That’s due in large part to the goaltending of Igor Shesterkin.
Rangers that can slip up the Oilers:
Artemi Panarin – 12 GP, 6G-7A—13P – In his last game against the Oilers on Dec. 31, 2019, Panarin recorded a four- point game with one goal and three assists. Panarin has goals in five of 12 games against the Oilers. In his first two career games against the Oilers in 2015, Panarin recorded a three-point game in each.
Jacob Trouba – 19 GP, 4G-6A—10P – Trouba has one assist in his last three games against Edmonton. In his first four career games against the Oilers, Trouba recorded four goals and three assists for seven points. One of those games (Jan. 18, 2014), Trouba scored one of his seven career overtime goals.
Barclay Goodrow – 14 GP, 5G-5A—10P – Goodrow hasn’t played Edmonton since he was a San Jose Shark. Goodrow has recorded points (2G-1A) in two of his last three games against the Oilers. Goodrow has recorded multi-point games in three of 14 games against Edmonton.
Per New York Rangers Game Notes
New York Rangers by the numbers
Rangers ranking highly in NHL:
The Rangers good start has them ranked highly in several key categories.
- Wins – 6 (Tied for 4th)
- Points – 16 (Tied for 4th)
- PK – 86.1% (Tied for 8th)
- Hits – 278 (3rd)
- Road Wins – 5 (Tied for 1st)
- Road Points – 11 (1st)
Chris Kreider’s 7 goals on the season is tied for 3rd, but his 5 PPGs lead the NHL.
Adam Fox 9 assists are tied for 4th in the League and his 11 points have him tied for 1st. He hit the 100 point mark in his last game with two assists.
Alexis Lafreniére’s 2 game winning goals is tied for 2nd in the NHL.
Igor Shesterkin is the road warrior with a perfect 4-0-1 record and a .959 SV% to go with a remarkable 1.38 GAA.
Rangers Milestones within reach
Chris Kreider’s hot start has him hitting and reaching several milestones this season:
- 1 goal away from passing Phil Esposito (184) for 15th all-time on Rangers goal list
- 1 PPG from passing Andy Hebenton 963) for sole passion of 11th all time
Mika Zibanejad is also nearing some milestones:
- 1 goal from passing Bill Fairbairn (138) for 31st on Ranger all-time scoring list
- 1 goal away from tying Bill Fairbairn (138) for 31st on Rangers all-time scoring list
- 1 overtime goal away from tying Cecil Dillon, Butch Keeling and Brian Leetch (7 each) for the most overtime goals by a player in Rangers history
Alexandar Georgiev is 2 games away from 100 in his NHL career.
Barclay Goodrow is 3 points away from 100 career points.
Dryden Hunt is 1 game away from 100 for his career.
Rangers Special Teams
- NYR PP is running at a 19.4% clip (7-36)
- NYR PK heats up at 86.1%
*All Stats and Info courtesy New York Rangers
Three Keys for victory
- I can’t stress this one enough – STAY OUT OF THE PENALTY BOX
- Pit Zibanejad’s line against McDavid’s as often as possible and hope they win the matchup
- Shesterkin needs to Shesterkin
NHL Rumors: Eichel after show
Eichel thought he was going to the Avs? Read more.