Hartford Wolf Pack Weekly: Already looking to bounce back
Bojangles Coliseum continues to be a house of horrors for the Hartford Wolf Pack. The team was unable to secure just their second franchise win against the Checkers last week and are now 1-15-1-1 lifetime. The Wolf Pack’s lone win in Charlotte came last year on April 10, 2022.
Despite starting the 2022-23 season 0-1-1, the group showed flashes of their offensive potential. The best player from opening weekend was Will Cuylle, who was ready to play and had strong outings in two games on the road trip.
Defensively, the Pack will continue to make adjustments, which struggled at times in the two games. It will take time for the group to build on chemistry and get used to each other. On the plus side, Hartford secured a point in a tough building.
As we approach this weekend, the Wolf Pack will return home for opening night and then will take on the Bridgeport Islanders on the road.
Hartford Wolf Pack Weekly
Will Cuylle Impresses Early On
Through two games, the Rangers prospect found himself on the scoresheet quickly. The 20 year old secured Hartford’s first goal of the season last Friday. In Saturday’s game, he helped setup a nice play to secure his first assist.
In addition to his points, Cuylle had a couple of solid opportunities offensively as he was paired ON Hartford’s top line with Jonny Brodzinski and Julien Gauthier. The prospect looks promising and has started the season on the right foot.
Dylan Garand Professional Debut
The Wolf Pack elected to start rookie Dylan Garand in last Saturday’s contest. Despite recording a loss, the prospect had a stellar debut, stopping 28 of 30 shots. The Checkers were consistent in their opportunities, especially with the high quality chances they developed throughout the game.
The Wolf Pack’s defense struggled in the game and when they did, Garand rose to the occasion. He certainly has confidence and it showed in his game. I am excited to see him play once again to see how he handles additional various situations.
The following players were assigned to Jacksonville:
- Goaltender Olof Lindom assigned on October 17th.
- Forward Alex Whelan assigned on October 14th.
The Leadership Group
As expected, Jonny Brodzinski returned to Hartford with captaincy for the 2022-23 season. The alternates for the season will be forwards Turner Elson and Tanner Fritz. However, Tim Gettinger was not given the “A” after wearing the role last season.
Wolf Pack Lines
Hartford rolled out the following lines in Saturday’s contest:
Cuylle – Brodzinski – Gauthier
Rempe – Henriksson – Trivigno
Fritz – Elson – Pajuniemi
Khordorenko – Gettinger – C.J. Smith
Robertson – Emberson
Welinski – Scanlin
Harpur – Skinner
Hartford rotated Austin Rueschhoff, Bobby Trivigno, Karl Henriksson, and Gustav Rydahl over the weekend. Rydahl was removed on Saturday as he is out day to day. He should be back for the upcoming slate of games.
- Julien Gauthier will provide Hartford additional offensive firepower. The forward had a strong weekend. Check out his goal using his strength and size.
- Lauri Pajuniemi had a well rounded game. In addition to registering his first goal of the season, he held well defensively. I was impressed with his one timer goal from Friday’s contest.
- Matthew Robertson recorded two assists in the first game of the season.
- Turner Elson recorded a point in each game thus far.
- Louis Domingue had a strong outing in the crease for Hartford despite the overtime loss. The veteran stopped 40 of 44 shots. The goaltender bailed out Hartford’s defense, especially in the third where Charlotte was buzzing in the frame.
Hartford Wolf Pack upcoming schedule
The Wolf Pack will be streaming all games this season! In previous seasons, the team broadcasted home games with select away games. Tune in for free all season long through Hartford’s Mixlr account.
All broadcasts will feature a pregame as well beginning approximately 15 minutes prior to puck drop.
Hartford will have two games on tap this weekend:
Saturday, October 22nd vs Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh) at 7pm, XL Center
- This will be the first of six meetings in the season series. Last season, Hartford went 3-2-1 against the Penguins. The second meeting will be on November 11th in Wilkes-Barre.
- Entering the week, the Penguins played one game. They dropped a 3-2 decision to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on October 15th. The Penguin’s second game was postponed as the club faced the Utica Comets. In the middle of that game, the power went out and will be resumed at a later date.
- Veteran Alexander Nylander leads the team in points with three (one goal, two assists).
- Listen – Mixlr. Watch – AHLTV.
Sunday, October 23rd vs Bridgeport Islanders (New York) at 3pm, Total Mortgage Arena
- Hartford will face Bridgeport in a 12 game season series. Last season, Hartford won the season series with a record of 7-2-0-1. The second meeting will be in Bridgeport on November 5th. The third will be on November 23rd.
- Entering the week, the Islanders are 1-1. Bridgeport dropped a 3-1 decision to Providence on October 14th, then bounced back to defeat Springfield by a score of 3-2 in the following night.
- Prior to Sunday’s game, Bridgeport will face Bridgeport and Laval as the club is playing three games in three days.
- Listen – Mixlr. Watch – AHLTV.