New York Rangers: John Davidson and Jeff Gorton set to speak today with off-ice testing set for first day of camp
The New York Rangers will open up training camp with off-ice testing tomorrow. Also on the schedule will be a Zoom call with head coach David Quinn.
Today, both President John Davidson and General Manager Jeff Gorton will be addressing the media around 11AM ET.
John Davidson and Jeff Gorton set to address state of the Rangers
On today’s call they are likely going to discuss the state of the Blueshirts and set some expectations for training camp. This is going to be a grueling 56 game schedule and the organization will be very limited with information on making roster decisions solely based on camp performance.
Let’s face it, scrimmages against group A and B isn’t really going to provide definitive answers if K’Andre Miller and Morgan Barron are NHL ready. The lack of any meaningful exhibition games makes it hard to truly assess.
There’s already a lot of givens with regard to who will be on the opening night roster, but some questions remain.
What the Rangers need to address during camp
Key roster and taxi squad questions
- Will Tarmo Reunanen and Libor Hajek make the roster and if not will one or both be on the taxi squad?
- Will both Jack Johnson and Brendan Smith make the team and if so how will they be utilized?
- How does K’Andre Miller fit? If he doesn’t make it will he be on the taxi squad to start the season?
- How does Morgan Barron fit? If he doesn’t make it will he be on the taxi squad to start the season?
- How does the AHL starting in February impact decision taxi-squad making?
What the Rangers need to sort out early in the season
Key lineup questions
- What line will Alexis Lafreniere start on this season and how will he be utilized?
- Will Kaapo Kakko be on the team’s second line with Panarin and Strome?
- Will Tony DeAngelo make the switch to the left side with Jacob Trouba?
- Is moving Chris Kreider to the right wing or third line an option?
- Is Brett Howden a center or a winger this season?
Goaltending tandems will be key in making the playoffs
Check out these 5 goalie tandems that will help their teams to the playoffs.